Sunday, February 22, 2009
Street Fighter 4! XBOX 360! ZOMG!
Obligatory (albeit late) SFIV console release post. Having had a week or so with the game, I can say without a doubt that IV is indeed worthy of the numerals that adorn it, as there have been so many games (Alpha, Ex) and revisions of games (Alpha Sequels x2, Ex Sequels x 2, SFIII 'Sequels' x2) that have been outside of the main storyline and lacked that recognition.
As for the console version, I'm not reviewing it, but here are my pros and cons in short.
- Arcade perfect port. Flawless by all accounts. We've finally reached that point and it feels great.
- Bonus Characters. Playable Gouken is a great add. I'm not a huge fan of the characters added mostly, as I'm more about the original 8, but it still adds heaps when one considers playing 9 other opponents, even if you still still to your Ryu.
- Trial Mode (similar to EX console ports to PS1) is insane. It alone is forcing me to get an arcade stick (not to mention netplay).
- Survival & Time Attack modes good for 1 player replay value.
- Online play. It CAN be amazing and has amazing potental. The concept of playing the latest incarnation of SF from your loungeroom against randoms the world over is so boss.
- Online play. It CAN be awful and laggy. I guess even the best netcode can have issues, with the intensity of the graphics and the need for good responsiveness in SF games. Australia internet aint great, but I should have laggy games against aussies. Hope it improves. At this stage SFIIST HD Remix is more playable online.
- No Spectating or Winner-Stays-on style lobbies online. They will fix this I assume.
- Paying for alt costumes. With all the things you have to clear in challenge mode, they could have resisted the urge to cash-in, and given the alt colours as rewards instead of the 4-billion 'titles' you earn. The titles concept is a lil weak to me.
- Character balance. Guile could have used a make over by now. Vega is USELESS. Sagat is too strong and unbeatable in the right hands... again. Such is life though, you expect this by now.
This shit is amazing. Must have for SF fans, and in a time when fighting games have all but disappeared from consoles, and arcades themselves are disappearing, this title can still appeal to joe avarage and hopefully will bring the genre back just a little.
PS. My Gamertag is in the sidebar. Holler for a game.